Monday 19 December 2011

Fun in the sun?

I'm starting to develop an awkward tan. One part of me is celebrating saying "Woo hoo Savannah, you can actually tan!!! I knew you could do it!! Fiesta!!" and the other (more sensible side of the brain) is screaming "AAAHH!!!! dear God what have you done?!?"

I say this for many reasons. For one, early this morning I stumbled upon a YouTube video "Dear 16 year old me" and it's about melanoma. Please do watch it if you haven't already as even I, a sun expert (lol not really) learned a lot watching it.

This clip reminded me of why I stay out of the sun and made me feel somewhat redeemed as the sole White person in a sea of brown people. You know, it's hard being white, it really is. You have to be a strong person to refuse the status quo because everywhere I go ( haha, especially here in South America) people sometimes look at me with morbid curiosity.

People often ask, "are all people from New Zealand white? Do they all wear hats?" of course the answer is no, very much no. Now I'm not hating on tanners, I'm jealous of your ability to brown, but at the same time we must all realise the dangerous of the sun. A tan is not the sign of a healthy glow, it is the sign that you have damaged your skin. Skin never forgets damage and now I have to take extra care of my awkwardly tanned forearms ;(

With this in mind, don't freak out, most people have a higher tolerance for sun than me and we all have skin damage, it's a fact of living. All I recommend is watch that YouTube clip, do a wee bit of research and make your own conclusions :)

(btw, the tan's not so bad mum and dad so don't freak out. I attach a photo although you can't see much but I assure you, I am somewhat tanned)

2 comments:

  1. Panic panic! Well, you're cautiousness is starting to rub off on me, just so you know (not that it matters at the moment, as it is winnnnttteeerrr :D :D :D).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slip slop slap don't forget. But you're pretty good with the sun anyway so we're not too concerned.

    ReplyDelete